Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Jay Z interview

Shawn Corey Carter (known as Jay Z) is an extremely famous American rapper, record producer, and entrepreneur.

Question #1: How did your career begin? and what made you so famous and the person you are today?
Jay Z: I started rapping when I was at a very young age so I can express my feelings and escape from the poverty I lived with, and the violence that surrounded my community. I kept on performing and writing raps when I could, and eventually by time this is where I reached. I never thought in my entire lifetime that I would get to where I am today; and what can I say? it's a dream come true.

Question #2: Does your music show your past experiences and adversities you have faced in your life?
Jay Z: Yes, Definently. I'm sure you can tell that most of the songs I write are about past experiences I have faced in my life. I used music to express and share my adversities and struggles that I have faced during my personal life. For example one of my rap songs speaks about the unfortunate death of my nephew; as he passed away in a car accident using the car I gave him as a present. I don't know why, but I really feel guilty for this so I wrote a song to express the extreme pain I was and still am going through at the moment. Another example would be my other rap song which tells the story of the cruel life of my father and uncle. In this song, I express to the audience the poverty I lived with when I was a child, and the violence that surrounded the place I lived in, including my family who continuously used drugs. I eventually got into using drugs, and this really effected our entire family and the relationship between myself and my father. My father later on decided to leave our family which really effected me in a negative way. So yeah, many and most of my songs talk about past experiences in my life; mainly adversities faced.

Question #3: What is one moral you have lived by?
Jay Z: I have always believed that if you want to aim high and achieve your goals hard work is required. I mean, I obviously wouldn't be in this position right now if it wasn't with all my hard work and commitment to what I'm doing.

Question #4: What would be some advice you can give to the younger rappers?
Jay Z: Well as I just said, hard work is needed if you want to be successful at rapping. I would also convince you kids to not be shy to express your experiences and feelings in your songs. Also, never let the haters effect you because there are always those people out there will judge you. Good luck to all of you, and I'm sure with a bit of hard work all of you will be successful! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. An interview is a really good choice, it allowed you to introduce your learning outcomes. I liked how you related his music to his personal feelings and experiences that he went through. A great interview with lots of valuable information, but you forgot to mention how his music influenced language... Overall, a good understanding of the task presented through this.

    ReplyDelete