Sunday, October 19, 2014

WT1 Draft


Rationale

My written task one will be completed in the form of an interview. The interview will be with a great and famous hip-hop artist named Shawn Corey Carter; known as (Jay Z). Jay Z speaks about previous experiences and adversities he faced in his life growing up in an extremely violent and poor African American community and family; He uses African American Vernacular English (AAVE) to express that in his music. I decided to base my written task on an interview since I had previous experiences completing this text type, and was looking forward to enhancing that previous interview even more. I also thought that an interview would be a good way to throw some questions at Jay Z, about his personal life and how he relates back to it in the lyrics of his music, and also about the use of language in his music. The intended audience is the poor people of the African American community he grew up with in order to gain motivation and encouragement from his music. I chose them to be my intended audience because I wanted them to see how Jay Z feels about the way he grew up in his violent community, and to get some advice from him. Another intended audience may be people that have a great interest in hip-hop/rap music since they can understand Jay Z’s meaning and message he is trying to send out in his music.


Written Task 1: Jay Z interview

With over 75 million records sold globally, and 19 Grammy Awards for his songs, Shawn Corey Carter or known as Jay Z, has surely secured his place as one of the best rappers we have ever seen. Below is an interview with Jay Z about his personal life, music, and language.

Interviewer: Hello and welcome to our show, it’s a pleasure to have you here with us today!

Jay Z: Thank you, it’s my pleasure to be here today

Interviewer: Great, I’ll start by asking you how your career began? And what made you so famous and the person you are today?

Jay Z: Well, I started rapping when I was at a very young age, because I enjoyed it and considered it to be a hobby to myself, and also to express my feelings and escape from the poverty I lived with, and the violence that surrounded my community. I kept on performing and writing raps when I could, and eventually by time this is where I reached. I never thought in my entire lifetime that I would get to where I am today; and what can I say? it's a dream come true.

Interviewer: I believe much of your music touch on past experiences and adversities in your life. Am I right on that?

Jay Z: Yes, that’s absolutely correct

Interviewer Why is that? And can you share some examples of that?

Jay Z: Yes, Definitely. I'm sure you can tell that most of the songs I write are about past experiences I have faced in my life. I used music to express and share my adversities and struggles that I have faced during my personal life. For example one of my rap songs speaks about the unfortunate death of my nephew; as he passed away in a car accident using the car I gave him as a present. I don't know why, but I really feel guilty for this so I wrote a song to express the extreme pain I was and still am going through at the moment. Another example would be my other rap song, which tells the story of the cruel life of my father and uncle. In this song, I express to the audience the poverty I lived with when I was a child, and the violence that surrounded the place I lived in, including my family who continuously used drugs. I eventually got into using drugs, and this really affected our entire family and the relationship between my father and myself. My father later on decided to leave our family, which really affected me in a negative way. So yeah, many and most of my songs talk about past experiences in my life; mainly adversities faced.

Interviewer: What is one moral you have always lived by?

Jay Z: I have always believed that if you want to aim high and achieve your goals and success, hard work is required. I mean, I obviously wouldn't be in this position right now if it wasn't with all my hard work and commitment to what I'm doing. If you have a clear objective and work hard, then anything is possible.

Interviewer: When you make your music, what do you think of? Who do you think of? And what motivates you to write your music?

Well, when I write my music I think of my family, and the poor, and my fans. I think of the poor back in my hometown since that was who I once was. I urge all my fans back home not to commit to the same mistakes I made back those day like getting into drugs and violence. I particularly think of my father whom I extremely miss after he left our family as I said. Those people definitely motivate and encourage me to continue doing what I do best.

Interviewer: Do you think that your music impacts your audience and the society? If so, how?

Jay Z: Yes, I do believe that my music does impact my audience in different ways such as the use of rhyme when writing my songs. The use of rhyme allows the audience to engage more with the song they’re listening to, which also helps them understand what I’m writing about. I also use the language I grew up with and the language used in my culture, which is African American Vernacular English, in order to attract the Black audience. In my lyrics I also talk about how hard work leads to success.

Interviewer: What is your opinion on African American Vernacular English?

As I said, it is the language I learnt and grew up with. I use it in my music to define who I am, and what culture I come from, and to attract all the Black audience and friends back home. I also believe that this is the perfect language used for rap.

 Interviewer: What would be some advice you can give to the younger rappers?

Jay Z: Well I mentioned it before, and I’ll mention it again, hard work is a must if you want to be successful at not only rapping, but also anything in life. I would also convince you kids to not be shy to express your experiences and feelings in your songs. Also, never let the haters negatively affect you because there is always those people out there will judge you. Good luck to all of you, and I'm sure with a bit of hard work all of you will be successful!

Interviewer: That brings us to the end of this interview; do you have any final words? For the fans perhaps?

Jay Z: A shout out to all my fans around the world, love you all. Thank you, it was a pleasure being here, I really enjoyed it.







4 comments:

  1. Your use of language to communicate past events in Jay-Z's life is really well used. To be honest, I found it really interesting to learn a little more about who he is as a person and how he portrays himself through his music. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done zaid!, what Jay Z said all about his life and how his music relates with him and his community etc was all well said and communicated. I felt like Jay z was actually speaking but try to use some AAVE since it's Jay Z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have communicated you're topics well, and the interview well demonstrates the connection between the music and background of Jay Z. The language used is also appropriate, along with the register. Your rationale is also clear and to the point. Well done Zaid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your interview, you articulate your ideas very well throughout the interview and your use of language is well-established throughout your written task. If i were to make an improvement, i would make it seem like Jay-Z was answering the questions from his perspective instead of someone who would speak formally, because to be honest the written task 1 is meant to be a creative piece and should not resemble an essay. With that being said, your interview was very enjoyable and your use style and language was on point and formal which might become a negative aspect in a written task 1 assignment due to the requirement in which it was meant to be written as less of an essay and more of a creative piece. Well done! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete